Visiting the Modern Pantry is like visiting your favourite aunt’s place who loves to feed you with unusual and tasty food combinations. The kind of aunt that loves taking care of you (much to the envy of your own mum) and who always makes you feel right at home by creating some great tasting dishes.
The Modern Pantry is located on the very quaint St. John’s square near some other very good dining venues such as Sushi Tetsu and Bistrot Bruno Loubet. We’d been to the Modern Pantry once before and were surprised at how good it was. We were therefore very excited to pay them another visit and try out some more of their dishes.
Anna Hansen is at the helm at the Modern Pantry (previously Providores) and during our previous visit we noticed that one of her distinctive cooking styles is that she likes to create surprising, but delicious food combinations that are best described as ‘eclectic comfort food’. The interior of Modern Pantry is rather neutral, but also very quaint. A bit like visiting a townhouse in a quaint village outside of London away from the normal hustle and bustle of the city.
During this visit to the Modern Pantry we tried the following dishes:
- Mandarin & wasabi battered South coast pollock, squid ink cassava chips, truffeled edamame puree, seaweed tartare (9/10)
- Wild garlic, roast celeriac & pecorino fritters, pear tonka puree (8/10)
- Grilled tamarind & miso marinated onglet steak, morcilla & kalamata olive mash, caperberry & pomegranate salsa (8/10)
- Confit Goosnargh duck leg, puffed wild rice, coconut & chickpea puree (8/10)
- Pancakes (9/10)
- Black rice & coconut pudding, passion fruit, lychee, yoghurt & panda sorbet, molasses (8.5/10)
Chef Anna Hansen is a master of creating extremely interesting flavour & texture combinations and this evident in all the dishes we tried. Particularly the pancakes were spectacular and just about the best pancakes we’ve ever tried (moist and packed with flavour)!
The total bill at the Modern Pantry came to £100 (including service charge and 3 smoothies).
Food rating for the Modern Pantry: 8.5/10
Service rating for the Modern Pantry: 8.5/10
Overall rating for the Modern Pantry: 8.5/10
(Overall rating is based on personal taste, opinion of ambiance and price)