Borough market is commonly known as the best food market that London has to offer. However, not many know that not too far from it is another excellent food market housing many of the vendors that used to sell their produce at Borough market.
Maltby street market is located behind Tower Bridge road, where the different vendors are tucked away in the characteristic railway arches. Maltby street market when several of the vendors at Borough market became fed-up with the high costs of operating at Borough market. They decided to start a competing (predominantly) food market and the market has thrived ever since.
We first discovered the market when we were alerted about a very good restaurant opening it’s doors in the area where we live. That place is 40 Maltby str., and since discovering the food artisan market that starts around 40 Maltby st. we’ve returned several times on the hunt for some proper street grub.
Maltby street market is the place to go to on a lazy Saturday morning when you just want to loiter from shop to shop stuffing your face with all kinds of food-goodies.
A list of vendors operating at Maltby street market:
- Monty’s deli: NYC Jewish deli style food such as Reuben pastramy sandwich and matzo ball chicken soup
- Bar Tozino: There is nothing like it in London. A grotto full of jamon and other Spanish goodies. I predict a lot of success for this new restaurant!
- The Woolpack: Succulent burgers. Try the juicy oxtail burger.
- Monmouth Coffee: Famed for their coffee, Monmouth is one of the main attractions around the area.
- 40 Maltby str.: The son of Monmouth Coffee & Neal’s Yard operators followed in his parents ‘food-steps’ and now runs a hugely successful wine importing business that also serves food on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. One of my absolute favourite restaurants in London.
- Bea’s of Bloomsbury: Hidden under one of the arches you’ll find the Blueberry pancake mecca that is Bea’s of Bloomsbury
- St. John’s Bakery: The bakery that supplies breads to the St. John’s restaurants is open to the public during the weekend…try their delicious doughnuts.